RELATED POST: Ecuador Heritage Trips: Tips and Recommendations
You are missing out if you haven’t visited Quito! It is not only a beautiful city, but it also has one of the best-preserved historic centers in the Americas. The history, the traditions, the scenery and the people makes Quito a unique place.
One of the best weeks to visit Quito is in early December when the city commemorates its foundation and the main streets are adorned with red and blue flags and banners. The foundation date is on December 6th but celebrations in Quito start nearly 10 days early in the Plaza de Toros where internationally acclaimed “toreros” bring a traditional show for quiteños.
My most favorite Fiestas de Quito celebration is riding la chiva which is an open-sided colorful truck with wooden benches that take people around the main sites of the city with a live band playing traditional music on the top of the chiva. Everyone can sing, dance and shout “¡Viva Quito!” during the two-hour ride. The chiva stops when it arrives to the historical center and people can continue the party in the street since bands are found in almost every neighborhood.
7+ Recommended Places To Visit In Quito
Palacio de Candorelet and Plaza de Independencia
Monumento a la Mitad del Mundo and Museum of Intiñan
Cathedrals and old churches such as Iglesia de la Compañía, Basílica, San Francisco, La Merced, etc)
Finally, I highly recommend to take a bike tour in the countryside. The scenary is breathtaking and you may see lots of alpacas, llamas and wild horses. (Make sure to stop by at the flower markets, crafts markets and small bakeries!)
Other neat places to visit in Quito are: Plaza Foch, Guápulo, Tren Ecuador, Parque Itchímbia, Parque Metropolitano, La Capilla del Hombre, La Casa del Alabado, Casa de la Cultura and Museo de Casa Sucre.
Check out 14+ Things To Do And See In Guayaquil In 3 Days! You can also visit my Ecuador Travel Pinterest Board to learn more about my favorite spots in Ecuador!
- The Ultimate Family Guide to Oahu: Explore 21 Family-Friendly Activities and Destinations in Hawaii
- How to do Disney World in One Day
- When Family Visits: 5 Best Bucket-List Road Trips in North Carolina
- Exploring Buenos Aires in Argentina
- 5 Places You Should Visit in South America
- 6 Magical Places to Visit With Kids in Ecuador
- I Left My Heart in the Amazon Rainforest
- 8 Fun Facts About Brazil
- 12 Places In Ecuador That You Should Visit
- New Year’s Eve Traditions In Ecuador
- 7+ Important Things To Know Before Traveling To Ecuador
- 14+ Things To Do And See In Guayaquil In 3 Days