Did you know that Hispanic Heritage Month kicks off September 15?
During this month we recognize the history, contributions and culture of Hispanics to the United States. I am so excited to join the national celebration for the next four weeks. My family is planning to attend a few festivals, try new Latino foods and read our favorite children’s books!
One of my favorite ways to teach heritage to my children is through books. They are great resources to spark conversations and connection. The following 40 children’s picture books are our family’s favorites. Enjoy!
(This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.)
Our cuisine is diverse and offers a delicious variety. Some items typical of Latin American dishes include maize-based dishes, guacamole, chimichurri, ají and others.
1. What Can You Do With A Paleta/ ¿Qué puedes hacer con una paleta?
2. The Dog Who Loved Tortillas
3. Grandma’s Chocolate
4. Growing Up With Tamales/ Los Tamales de Ana
5. The Bakery Lady/ la Señora de la Panadería
Latinos are all about family. A traditional feature of the Latino family is the extended family. Learn more about our stances in familia in the following books.
6. I Love Saturday and Domingos
7. The Empanadas that Abuela Made/ Las Empanadas Que Hacía La Abuela
8. We Are Cousins/ Somos Primos
9. Abuela’s Weave
10. La Familia Cool
11. Qué Cosas Dice Mi Abuela
12. Un Sillón Para mi Mamá
Our culture is rich in traditions and they are easily seen in our lifestyles. From Soccer to Quinceañeras, learn more about our lives in these books.
13. The Rainbow Tulip
14.The Bossy Gallito
16. Soccer Star
17. Shake It Morena
18. The Best Mariachi In The World/ El Mejor Mariachi Del Mundo
19. René Has Two Last Names
20. Gracias /Thanks
21. A Day’s Work
22. On The Pampas
23. Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet in Spanish and English
24. The Fiesta Dress: A Quinceañera Tale
25. The Tooth Fairy Meets Ratón Pérez
Read about some of the Hispanic people who greatly have contributed to the world. You will get inspired learning about their lives.
26. Tito Puente, Mambo King/ Titi Puente, Rey del Mambo
27. Diego Rivera His World And Ours
29. My Name Is. Me Llamo Celia
30. My Name is Gabriela/ Me Llamo Gabriela
31. My Name is Gabito/ Me Llamo Gabito
32. A Picture Book of Simon Bolívar
Learn about our culture through folktales and legends. They provide some of our values, attitudes and even philosophies of life.
33. The Magic Bean Tree: A Legend From Argentina
34. Juan Bobo: Four Folktales from Puerto Rico
35. Moon Rope/ Un Lazo A La Luna
36. Cukcoo. A Mexican Folktale
37. El Cucuy
38. The Llama’s Secret -A Peruvian Legend
39. Juan and The Chupacabras
40. Biblio Burro: A Tue Story From Colombia
Enter below for your chance to win!
PayPal cash giveaway is open internationally! Giveaway closes at midnight Pacific Time on September 19, 2016.