Wondering how to make those delicious sugar skull cookies that you see in every store for Day of the Dead? Well, look no further. Learn how to make them with these easy peasy steps.
How To Make Day of the Dead Cookies
These delicious cookies are easy to make with the kiddos. Get some colorful decorations and let the imagination fly.
This is what you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 oz unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Day of the Dead Skull Cookie Cutter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- gel food coloring with your favorite colors
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Add the butter and sugar and continue to mix.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix.
- Add half the flour mixture, and mix it for a minute. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick, flipping and lightly flouring the dough a few times if needed while you work.
- Cut shapes in the dough with your favorite Day of the Dead Skull Cookie Cutter.
- Bake the cookie dough for 10 minutes or until the cookies are just beginning to appear dry. Let them cool completely.
- Combine egg whites, powdered sugar and cream of tartar.
- Divide it into the number of colors that you’ll need.
- Add 3-4 drops of each gel food coloring to each bowl.
- Outline each of the cookies in white and design it with your colored frostings.
You can also skip the white frosting and go straight to design the facial designs.